[Bf-committers] Blender and ATI

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Jun 16 20:10:30 CEST 2005

Hi,

> I have been working with Joshua Doss, the maintainer of the graphics
> card page on blender3d.org, to make more information available on
> which cards work nicely with Blender.

Cool. What could work is someone asking each active developer here to
mention system specs... not as a public call, but by contacting them in
person (otherwise you never get the info!). Here's mine;

Apple G5, ATI 9600
iBook G4, ATI 9200 Mobility

There's also a myriad of confusing information here;
http://blender.org/modules/gfxdatabase/

The amount of chipsets/drivers just is crazy! Should be cleaned up...

> I have been developing some Windows tools to get system configuration
> information, as well as graphics card information.  They are not yet
> ready for prime time, but they are getting there.  I will be able to
> do something similar for Linux once I get working Linux drivers for my
> video card, but at this point I won't be able to do anything for Mac
> or other platforms since I dont' have that hardware available.

Not sure what you mean... having a *complete* support system for all 3d
cards/OS combos might be not possible. If we just post the list of
active-supported systems, and maybe an extra list of 'reported OK'
systems... that can just give people purchasing info, and maybe even
attract sponsors. :)

> I also have written a GHOST improvement for Windows that will deal
> with several reports in the OpenGL tracker.  I will send a patch to
> the list and post it to the patch tracker as soon as you unfreeze CVS
> (this might have already happened!).  Let me know if you can
> investigate/accept it now.

I can't... only OSX here. :)
Just post in our tracker, and poke people here to test it!

-Ton-