[Bf-committers] Blender and ATI

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Jun 15 14:17:11 CEST 2005

Hi,

 From my long past with opengl I only know there's always issues,
regardless which brand you choose. Main disadvantage of ATIs is that
several of their cards/drivers dropped proper (fast) frontbuffer
drawing. That's a feature being dropped in the Blender UI anyway, and
it has issues for more graphics cards too.

Apart from the frontbuffer issue, ATIs perform nice. BTW; ATIs in macs
perform excellent on frontbuffer drawing, so it's really a driver
issue...

In the Blender code we now have 2 hacks to bypass nvidia issues we
discovered. At this moment there's a disturbing amount of reports on
latest nvidia drivers crashing Blender...

Conclusion; it doesn't really matter, for as long our devs have same
type of cards, so things get patched. :)
I *really* still would like someone collecting a "actively supported
HW" list.

-Ton-