[Bf-committers] Blender and ATI

Stephen madcitybrit at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 06:44:25 CEST 2005

Hi,

I've just joined the mailing group so this is my first communication.
I'm in the process of building a PC/Workstation and right now trying
to decide between an nVidia or ATI GPU. I've read in various posts of
various issues regarding ATI cards due to their OpenGL driver support
(I'll be running 64bit Linux also), and your efforts to help rectify
these. I'm a software developer (mainly database applications) and
would like to get involved in helping out with this project. I'm also
looking to use the software to educate myself with 3D rendering etc.
As a result would you recommend one or the other of nVidia or ATI
(either a Radeon X800 XL or GeForce 6800 or similar)? I can possibly
help with the development of ATI driver support, but I'd want to be
using the software for rendering also (is there a big difference
between nVidia and ATI cards, as far as OpenGL is concerned, with
rendering in Blender on Linux?). From what I've read so far ATI seems
to have come a long way regarding Linux driver support, but I don't
know much about their OpenGL efforts compared to nVidia.

Thanks,
Stephen