[Bf-committers] Potential mentors for Summer of Code

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Fri Jun 10 05:54:25 CEST 2005

Hi folks,

I am getting a lot of enquiries looking for
'potential mentors' for the Summer of Code
grants. A potential mentor does things like:

* helps the student applicant with the proposal
write up, makes sure the work promised is
indeed possible and will fit well in a
two month time span;

* if the proposal is successful, the mentor
helps the student by answering questions, and
helping direct the project to a successful
conclusion (on a casual basis);

* if the proposal is successful, the mentor
writes up a report about the student and the
project, and declares the work 'complete' or
'incomplete';

* if the proposal is successful, and the mentor
fullills his/her mentoring duties for the duration
of the project (two months), the mentor gets $500
for his/her trouble.

Mentors should have commit rights (although well
known people who submit patches on a regular basis
may be considered too), and have a sound grasp of
blender at the user level, and know their way
around the source tree, and have a sound knowledge
of C.

Topics that it would be helpful to have mentors
for are:

* Game Engine;
* Python;
* Rendering;
* Mesh Editing;
* Sound System;
* Nurbs;
* OpenGL;
* Other stuff too.

If you are interested in being a 'potential mentor'
(becoming a 'full-fledged mentor' when your
applicant's proposal is deemed successful),
please send me a mail. If you are already
helping me out with mentoring and wouldn't
mind helping more applicants, please send me a
mail.

Thanks,
Chris