[Bf-committers] BL

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Jun 6 14:37:38 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Just got today another request in with information about the BL. The
old texts on this (in sources and website) were ancient, and actually
not correct anymore.

I've changed the text as you can see below.

Of course I'd prefer to hear some feedback on the topic. :)
When the current committers on the code agree on it, I propose to
remove the BL description from the source files as well, but we can
wait a little while with it.

-Ton-

Blender License (the "BL", see http://www.blender.org/BL/ ).

Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Blender Foundation. All Rights Reserved.

This text supersedes the previous BL description, called Blender
License 1.0.

When the Blender source code was released in 2002, the Blender
Foundation reserved
the right to offer licenses outside of the GNU GPL. This so-called
"dual license"
model was chosen to provide potential revenues for the Blender
Foundation.

The BL has not been activated yet. Partially because;

- there has to be a clear benefit for Blender itself and its community
of
   developers and users.
- the developers who have copyrighted additions to the source code need
to approve
   the decision.
- the (c) holder NaN Holding has to approve on a standard License
Contract

But most important;

- the Blender Foundation is financially healthy, based on community
support
   (e-shop sales), sponsoring and subsidy grants
- current focus for the Blender Foundation is to not set up any
commercial
   activity related to Blender development.
- the GNU GPL provides sufficient freedom for third parties to conduct
business
   with Blender

For these reasons we've decided to cancel the BL offering for an
indefinite period.

Third parties interested to discuss usage or exploitation of Blender
can email
license at blender.org for further information.

Ton Roosendaal
Chairman Blender Foundation.