[Bf-committers] Import scripts quality

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at ig.com.br
Thu Jun 2 10:28:01 CEST 2005

Alexander Ewering wrote:

> (...) I feel the need to express some serious concerns about the
> quality of the bundled import scripts.

That's welcome and needed feedback, of course.  Scripts in Blender have
been tested by their authors and other users, usually with discussions
at elysiun's Python & Plugins forum and also by me (only to make sure
they work, basically, actual users needing a script can test way better).

This is almost a controlled situation, because the author and forum
participants get to know what already works and how -- the scripts work
for them.  Surely we can't expect all Blender users to know that, so
both we need good, structured documentation and bug reports from those
who try the scripts in ways that the author hasn't yet or knows that are
not supported.

Specifically about Paths Import (from JMS), not sure if that is your
problem, a common issue is that they import "paths" only, not other SVG
objects (it is not a standalone svg importer).  And for .ai it seems not
all versions are supported.  The svg part was updated for inkscape 0.40,
if that didn't work maybe you have an older version of the script in
your .blender/scripts dir (note that dir was changed, it has subdirs
now, scripts will fail with "Import Error" if you don't update).

But anyway, please all users report problems at the elysiun forum or
fill a bug report with a sample file you tried to import.

===

To say what is being done:

The quality of all bundled scripts is a concern.  We need them to have
the "boring parts" developed as well -- full documentation, proper
warnings error msgs for all problems, bugs fixed, improvements made.
Projects to help with this have been planned to start soon, along with
the rest of the helper stuff authors may need: an script installer, a
general gui script to report errors and warnings instead of using the
console.

An specific project to make importers / exporters more robust and
documented in detail (per script: what is supported, important details)
is high on our TODO, but it will only work if we get reports from those
who actually need these convertors.  Adding important missing convertors
is also part of this project, I'll write about it soon at elysiun and
the bf-scripts mailing list.

--
Willian