[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src editmesh_tools.c

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Sat Jul 30 20:09:31 CEST 2005

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005, Chris Burt wrote:

> There are plenty of blender users that have a wheel mouse. In fact.. actual
> three-button mice are much more rare. By a large margin. So you should have
> rephrased your comments to say, "But I don't have a wheel mouse."

I've tried using a wheelmouse with blender, and I stopped working after about
10 minutes because of intense finger / hand strain from constantly trying
to press the mousewheel when transforming the view.

Because I still need my hands, I've investigated sources for usual three-
button-mice, and got one from SGI.

> Zooming with a wheel mouse is particularly nice. You can also pan/rotate
> using the wheel combined with modifier keys.

I always found the mousewheel quite useless, no matter which application.
It has a limited range, you can only zoom that far forth and back with it,
then it's "used up" because of its limited rotation range per action.

In my opinion, it's not a lot more than a marketing joke.

> As for it being an exclusive control... of course that isn't a good idea but
> he's obviously not done.
>
> How about some positive feedback about the new mouse control Alexander? I've
> used it and I find it to be fantastic.

Well, mouse control is very problematic still.

Both during the "choose your edgeloop" loop and during the edgeslide loop,
the system basically stalls and gets very sluggish. Confirming or cancelling
the action (choose loop / choose position) takes several seconds to execute,
in between it still previews as if you hadn't done anything.

Also, I can't see any difference between SHIFT and non-SHIFT-constrained
edgeloop movement, except that the numbers in the header are different.
Movement is the same.