[Bf-committers] GHOST merge

Matthew H. Plough mplough at Princeton.EDU
Fri Jul 29 05:48:01 CEST 2005

Hi all --

I'm working on writing an OpenGL diagnostic program for Windows so I can
get information on graphics cards and better analyze why OpenGL problems
occur with Blender.

In order to do this, I need to link my diagnostic program to the exact
version of GHOST that bf-blender uses -- that way, I'll get the most
accurate picture of potential problems and be able to troubleshoot them
very effectively.  However, linking to bf-blender's GHOST version is
like pulling teeth; there are lots of strange dependencies, and the
headers include other headers, ad infinitum.

Hence, I would like to merge the standalone cvs GHOST with the
bf-blender version, and have already begun to do so.  I have a couple of
questions about this:

1) Should I use the STR_string like the bf-blender version or
std::string like the standalone version?  I'd like to minimize
dependencies, but I've head bad things about the STL.

2) lukep, I know that you are planning a GHOST refactor.  What does your
timetable look like, and could I get in on this?

Matt