[Bf-committers] [Fwd: [ bf-blender-Patches-2795 ] Windows GHOST fix for better pixel formats]

Matthew H. Plough mplough at Princeton.EDU
Mon Jul 18 06:23:42 CEST 2005

Hi all,

Today, Daniel Dunbar was kind enough to commit my Windows GHOST pixel
format patch.  As outlined in the patch description, this patch is
designed to do a better job of choosing the correct pixel format than
the utterly broken ChoosePixelFormat function in the Windows API.  My
code tries to pick the best pixel format it can that is still hardware
accelerated, thereby keeping good performance while increasing visual
quality and preventing visual artifacts.

On many systems (those that already use swap copy and a decently good
z-buffer), no effects should be seen.  However, on systems -- especially
Quadro cards and 3Dlabs cards -- that use swap exchange buffer swaps by
default, this patch should make problems like these (
http://www.princeton.edu/~mplough/tmp/buttons_error.png ) go away, if
the system is capable of hardware-accelerated swap copy.  Also, on
systems that can support hardware-accelerated high resolution z-buffers
but don't currently use them because of the brain-dead design of the
Windows ChoosePixelFormat function, black triangles around the edges of
shapes in shaded mode will disappear.

If anyone has any feedback, good or bad, about these changes, please let
me know.

In other OpenGL-related news, I am making progress creating a GHOST
diagnostics and validation stub in Windows that will allow us to rapidly
obtain in-depth technical information on different graphics cards, as
well as ascertain their capabilities.  Martin and a couple of other
people have seen the output of a preliminary version of my data spewer
program.  If at all possible, I would like to discuss this and other
OpenGL-related tasks that I have been working on at next Sunday's meeting.

Regards,
Matt