[Bf-committers] German translation

Simon Lanzmich SimonLanzmich at gmx.de
Sat Jul 16 19:26:00 CEST 2005

Hi,
In the course of translating Blender to German (currently 568 translated
Messages), I encountered a few problems:

When the translation of a menu item is too long, the menu is not resized
and/or the text us not cut off so that the label gets partly paced on
top of the hotkey information, which is ugly, but can be avoided by
shortening the string manually.

However, this leads to another problem:
When the same word / expression is used in several places with different
amounts of space available (e.g. buttons / menu items), there are (I
think) two possible ways of dealing with it:
1. shorten the entry -> looks rather ugly in places where there is a lot
of space left
2. don't shorten it -> If the translated label is too long for the
button, the original English label is used, but the last letter is
missing (-> ugly ).
Neither of these solutions is really satisfactory. A shortening system
would be greatly appreciated.

Further, is there a way to translate items such as Pull-down menus?

PS:
I found some typos in the English labels / tooltips:
buttons_logic.c:
"Objects that are evaluated by the engine "

toolbox.c
"Centre View to Cursor"
-----^
(Either a typo, or British English. The latter should be avoided
according to the guidelines. For some other labels, "Center View to
Cursor" is used.)

Simon Lanzmich