[Bf-committers] curves/surfaces/NURBS

Emmanuel Stone emmanuel.stone at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 19:12:13 CEST 2005

Hello,

My name is Emmanuel Stone (eman-) and I am one of the new Google
Summer of Code coders. I will be working on updating Blender's
curves+surfaces/NURBS code, with Nurbana code, which was donated a
while ago by Justin Shumaker.

After some discussion with Ton, it was decided that probably the best
way to approach this design would be to convert Nurbana's
functionality to a module which  Blender could access via a C API
(Nurbana is written in C++). Initially I will just be replicating
Blender's current functionality using the new code (libNurbana?). But
this architectural change should facilitate the easy addition of new
tools to Blender (e.g. loft, refit, subdivide, blend) which are
implemented in the Nurbana code.

At this point, before I get started on the coding, I thought it would
be a good idea to ask for people's suggestions for the design of this
project. I am new to Blender's codebase (and Nurbana's) and even
though I am familiar with parametric curves and surfaces I feel that I
don't have enough knowledge (yet) of Blender's internals to design
this entirely on my own.

Suggestions as to how to approach the implementation of this project
would be much appreciated.

thanks!

-eman