[Bf-committers] IRC Meeting minutes january 16/23

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Sun Jan 30 19:47:38 CET 2005

On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 01:34:43PM -0500, Jonathan Thambidurai wrote:

> Variable declarations in any part of the code is a part of C99 (the "new" ANSI/ISO C standard), as is cpp-style comments.  While Microsoft's C-compiler and gcc prior to version 3 do not support these features, they are definitely standard and "Pure C".

It is NOT a question of standards and purity.  It is a question of
what compiles on our supported platforms.  With the appropriate flags,
everyone can handle c++ style comments.  Mixed declarations break on
Irix and some MS compilers.

This means we can live with // comments.  Declarations will have to
conform to C89/C90.

The whole reason this came up is because gcc, in default mode, accepts
both features without warning.  Using the -pedantic -Wno-long-long
flags gives (lots) of warnings about this usage.

To summarise this thread: NO mixed declarations and code, please!

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net