[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src buttons_editing.c

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Jan 25 12:15:21 CET 2005

Hi,

Chris; I agree this isn't in the category "nice UI convention", but the
real source of problems is not in this specific addition, but in the UV
texture and vertex color system in general. It was added in the past in
a quite clumsy way, and isn't really future proof... back then (talking
about '95 here) support for realtime textures wasn't standard for SGI
even.

Although having interactive/realtime 3d creation in Blender is a great
unique "selling" point, the way it is integrated in Blender lacks
design and consistancy still. I really would welcome more development
here. Like;

- separating vertex colors from UV faces (make both indepently switched
features)
- allowing multiple layers of UV coords and assigned images
- develop sophisticated "baking" tools for radiosity or render colors
(AO!)
- review how vertex colors and UV texture coords and Images work with
Materials for rendering
- review what Material properties are actually being used for realtime
(e.g. try to unify realtime and render better)
- review vertex painting, UV editing and UV-image selecting in general.
The current modes are quite confusing.

Brecht has expressed interest in working on the UV and realtime
textures issue, which makes him (together with Jens) the 'module owner'
of this part in Blender. To encourage them, it might work best to give
the benefit of the doubts for now. I guess this patch is more of a
temporal workaround, while waiting for real improvements to come. :)

-Ton-