[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src buttons_editing.c

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Mon Jan 24 23:44:33 CET 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005, Chris Burt wrote:

> "And it restores consistency with 2.2x UIs."
>
> Call me crazy but I'm not sure that was ever anyone's goal :) ;P

You are not more crazy than the other 95% of people on this planet, so
don't worry :)

> It might be useful but I think the underlying issue here is the nature of the
> vertex paint system. The real project should be how to integrate this useful
> and (in my opinion) underused feature in a way that's useful, unobtrusive,

Underused? I wonder if any content at all has ever been designed without
using vertex colours. Do you always make several copies of your textures and
apply light to them in external apps before uvmapping them to your scene? :)

> and logical. Simply adding the vertex paint buttons to other panels obviously
> doesn't solve the problem which is: how do selection and editing modes get
> used in conjunction with vertex paint? Personally I think the fact that
> vertex paint mode and uv face select mode can overlap, but edit mode and
> vertex paint mode cannot, is a little obtuse and ugly.

Not at all, it is necessary. I don't know how far your understanding of
the realtime engine goes, but when in faceselect mode, you can apply vertex
colors to *faces* (*not* vertices), and if you are in both modes at the
same time, you can apply vertex colors to vertices of *only the selected
faces*.

So there is a good reason for this combination to exist.

I agree though that the current situation is the somewhat
whacky combination of two modes... and it's not always easy to find your
way out. I keep finding myself hitting F and V at least 5 times in sequence
until i am finally in object mode.