[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src buttons_editing.c

Chris Burt desoto at blender.spaceisbig.com
Mon Jan 24 23:22:25 CET 2005

"And it restores consistency with 2.2x UIs."

Call me crazy but I'm not sure that was ever anyone's goal :) ;P

It might be useful but I think the underlying issue here is the nature
of the vertex paint system. The real project should be how to integrate
this useful and (in my opinion) underused feature in a way that's
useful, unobtrusive, and logical. Simply adding the vertex paint buttons
to other panels obviously doesn't solve the problem which is: how do
selection and editing modes get used in conjunction with vertex paint?
Personally I think the fact that vertex paint mode and uv face select
mode can overlap, but edit mode and vertex paint mode cannot, is a
little obtuse and ugly.

Brecht - maybe time to look into this more closely?

And very quickly.. if someone is willing to answer.. is it possible to
bake texture colors as vertex colors? How about ambient occlusion data?
Shadow buffer data? And call of this be done in some sort of unified and
easy to understand manner complete with menu entries, hotkeys etc?
Vertex colors and vertex paint can be extended in many ways and made to
be more useful for the artist than they are already. Anyway.. I hope
these comments get people thinking.

Chris