[Bf-committers] Tuhopuu vs the Main Line (was Cheap Tweak Mode)

Robert Wenzlaff rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Mon Jan 17 15:20:37 CET 2005

On Monday 17 January 2005 00:16, Jonathan Merritt wrote:
> Tuhopuu is a test area.  Once the code is tested the developer(s) of that
> code
>
> >need to still be proactive and submit a proposal
> >

> I guess something that confuses many people (myself included!) is the
> question of what constitutes code that must pass through Tuhopuu and what
> is "worthy" enough (or maybe simple enough) to be committed directly to
> bf-blender.  I think many people would be happy to see this outlined...

There is no requirement that any particular feature pass through tuhopuu
first, just as there is no guarentee that code in tuhopuu will make it into
bf.

The path to being in bf-blender is:

1) submit proposal (this can include a "check it out in Tuhopuu" tag...),
2) discuss proposal with Ton and other developers,
3) submit patch (or a non-release commit if you are already on the developer
list),
4) have developers test patch and discuss release-worthiness and required
changes (going back to 1, 2 or 3 as needed).

Tuhopuu should be thought of as a tool to assist you in doing the above, not a
step that may or may not be required in any particular case.  If you want
feedback on how something works or should work, need to test something across
platforms,  or are making a change that would be difficult to roll-back
because of interaction with other new code, then it's a good idea to test it
out in Tuhopuu first.  It also gives you a place to get early feedback on
partially working stuff.

When something is committed to the BF tree, there _should_ be an almost 0%
chance that it breaks something.  Committing something to Tuhopuu with less
than a 10% chance of breaking something is probably a good goal....

Robert Wenzlaff                  rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com