[Bf-committers] Feature that revolutionizes use of radiosity in game engine

Nick Winters nickrwinters at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 19:43:33 CET 2005

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:08:33 +0100 (CET), Alexander Ewering
<blender at instinctive.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Juan Julio [ISO-8859-1] Peña Mena wrote:
>
> >> You can now totally finish your modelling, INCLUDING UV-Mapping
> >> and texturing, subdivide the mesh a few times using the regular
> >> subdivide function, THEN calculate a radiosity lighting solution, choose
> >> "Add new meshes", select the old mesh and then the radiosity mesh,
> >> CTRL-C -> Vertex Colours, and NON-DESTRUCTIVELY APPLY THE
> >> LIGHTING TO THE UVMAPPED MESH.
> >>
> >> Why didn't anyone think of this...
> >

> > How is this different/better from baking the vertex colors of the
> > subdivided mesh into a texture (that you can later post process for
> > finer control) and re-applying the texture back into the unsubdivided
> > mesh?
>
> Dunno, I never used that method. Isn't this faster?
>
> | alexander ewering              instinctive mediaworks
> | ae[@]instinctive[.]de   http://www[.]instinctive[.]de
Using vertex colors is nice because

a) blender already supports vertex colors, it doesn't support multiple textures
b) doesn't require extra features or performance of the graphics card
[I have to deal with computers that can't multi textrure]

so, essentially this is a novel way of using a radiosity calc [as
before], but having good results on a lowpoly mesh much more easily