[Bf-committers] Feature that revolutionizes use of radiosity in game engine

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Sat Jan 8 05:09:27 CET 2005

I know, a totally exaggerated subject, but that's how I feel
about it. A bit of self-PR can't hurt :)

I've coded a "Copy Vertex Colours" function into the CTRL-C menu,
which does the following:

It takes the active mesh and copies its vertex colors to the
*nearest possible vertex* in the selected mesh.

What does this mean?

A lot:

You can now totally finish your modelling, INCLUDING UV-Mapping
and texturing, subdivide the mesh a few times using the regular
subdivide function, THEN calculate a radiosity lighting solution, choose
"Add new meshes", select the old mesh and then the radiosity mesh,
CTRL-C -> Vertex Colours, and NON-DESTRUCTIVELY APPLY THE
LIGHTING TO THE UVMAPPED MESH.

Why didn't anyone think of this...