[Bf-committers] Idea for textureing method.

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Jan 6 13:06:12 CET 2005

Hi,

One thing to look at is using the "Tex Mesh" feature. Blender then uses
as "Orco" texture coordinates the vertex locations of another Mesh. You
can just duplicate the tree and move the branches in a way that gives
pleasant XYZ textures.

I also don't really understand how procedurals go wrong in a direction,
most procudurals work very well in 3D. (Unless with directional
procedurals like 'wood' or 'marble', but for good looking wood you can
use other textures much better).

The distance-weighted method with empties could be a useful experiment,
but I don't know if that's really satisfying and giving pleasant quick
control over textures. We might then better check on using the
weight-painting method or vertexgrouping we have now?

But probably the "Tex Mesh" feature would work best for your project.

-Ton-