[Bf-committers] OpenAL -> SDL

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Wed Jan 5 23:54:25 CET 2005

I'm just reading the Linux Gaming FAQ, and I've found some funny topics
there. Seems like I'm not the first one dropping OpenAL ;)

-------

Q: In UT, I get some generally scary effects with latency & other things, even though I'm not running arts or esd.

A: Build the latest CVS of OpenAL (http://opensource.creative.com/), or, if that's too scary for you, follow the next answer (which will yield a lower sould quality if you've got a descent OpenAL setup):
A: [Thanks, Adam Kirchhoff] Are you using the commercial OSS drivers? There's a "feature" of the non-commercial ones and ALSA that means you may get strange effects. UT has a generic audio driver that should fix this for you. In the section:

[Engine.Engine]

of your config file, change the line

AudioDevice=ALAudio.ALAudioSubsystem

to say:

AudioDevice=Audio.GenericAudioSubsystem

-------

Q: Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 is giving terrible sound, or none at all!

A: Try this:
echo "(define devices '(sdl))" > ~/.openalrc

-------