[Bf-committers] Doxygen docs?

joeedh joeeagar at prodigy.net
Wed Jan 5 22:11:07 CET 2005

Alexander Ewering wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005, joeedh wrote:
>
>> Hi, I'd be interesting in writing code comments for parts of
>> Blender's source code.  I have a fairly good understanding of it, and
>> whoever was previously doing this seems to have given up.  I've
>> gotten Doxygen to work, and I've found the main doxygen
>> configuration/source files in doc/.
>

> For me (and probably for any other serious developer), the code is pretty
> much self-explanatory... better spend the time on coding ;)

The code is self-explanatory, after you finish having apoplexy at the
wierdness of it :)  .  Blender violates so many software-design "rules"
that it isn't even funny.  Also there is a contradiction between the
design and the code: The design in abstracted, but the code is not
(referring to the main code in blender/source/blender of course).  I'm
excluding the sound and image modules BTW, I've never looked closely at
them but they're in C++ and they seem to be fine.

Documentation would really help.  I figured out the sourcecode on my
own, but it sure would've helped to have nice code documentation.   Also
with good documentation C amateur's could more easily help code things
(oh!  The horror!).  This is, after all, an open-source project.

joeedh