Sound/Game system status and work. Was: Re: [Bf-committers] 2.36 status...

Jacques Beaurain jbeaurain at istop.com
Wed Jan 5 03:21:18 CET 2005

Hi,

Just returned from holiday and will soon be ready to start working on
some of the audio stuff as described below ...Except  I see someone
(Alexander) already beat me to it and started. I still believe I can be
of some help. Will first need to catch up with everything that I missed
while away though.

Alexander:

A quick look at the "Soundsystem mess" thread shows that the differences
between C and C++ is/was giving you some headaches. I am well versed in
using (and in deciding when to use or stay away from) either of  the two
through my work. This is one part of what I believe I can be of help
with to clean up and redesign. Refactoring C++ code can sometimes lead
to having to change multiple places in the code but the same can happen
in C depending on the initial design.

Other than that I see you plan to get rid of OpenAL and do everything
with SDL. I am from an academic background in the field electronic
engineering so I  have some experience in physics and math which may (or
may not;) come in handy in coding certain things from scratch if we have
to go this way.

Will keep reading the rest of my unread mail and get back within the
next week or so.

Jacques

PS: I still think it may be a good idea to start something in the
Blenderwiki so that everybody involved know what is going on and not
reinventing each other's wheels. I find it hard using email threads as
TODO lists, general documentation and design documents. The sound part
of the game engine may not be complex/big enough to justify it's own
wiki topic and I also think the whole game engine can use one there
where people can share what they know and learn about it. I'll try to
get a general framework for the Game Engine (with the minute amount that
I know, maybe Kester can add some valuable info to it) on the Blenderdev
wiki as soon as possible. because I think I'll also want to start
contributing to the whole after we are done with the sound stuff.