[Bf-committers] Freetype issues

Rob Haarsma phaseIV at zonnet.nl
Tue Feb 22 22:31:33 CET 2005

Simon Clitherow wrote:

> I'm certainly not against upgrading freetype - although I'm of the
> opinion that if something works well enough for our purposes then
> don't mess with it! (aka. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!")
>
> So generally speaking, I prefer to stick with a known (and stable)
> version of a library, unless we have hit bugs in the version we use
> currently or there are substantial improvements/features that can
> benefit blender directly (ie. with minimal or no extra coding).

Hey Simon and all,

To clear things up, the current precompiled Windows libraries for
Freetype and FTGL were provided by me.
The current Freetype library in CVS is version 2.1.7 and I presume that
the Blender Windows binaries were
build using these precompiled Libs.

Sigh... I'm not requesting new features nor am I trying to upset anyone.
All I'm trying to say is that it is a weird
descision to add sources from a four year old Freetype distribution,
instead of committing Freetype sources
version 2.1.7 or newer.

Regards,
Rob.