[Bf-committers] Oscars, Netherlands and Horses [slightly OT]

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Feb 17 12:29:10 CET 2005

joeedh wrote:

> Jonathan Merritt wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> One of the winners of the Technical Achievement Awards at the Oscars
>> this year was Vicon, for their Motion Analysis System:
>>    http://www.oscars.org/77academyawards/sci-techawards/winners.html
>>
>> One of the individual winners of this award was Dr Ton van den
>> Bogert.  He did his PhD at the  Veterinary School of the University
>> of Utrecht in the Netherlands (where he is originally from), on the
>> topic of "Computer Simulation of Locomotion in the Horse".  (I have a
>> copy that he sent me sitting on my desk! :-).
>>
>> The moral of the story is that in order to win an Academy Award, you
>> should all first start a PhD in equine biomechanics.  >:-]
>>
> I remember him, he was using blender for his project, wasn't he?

That's news to me! :-)  Blender's not mentioned in any of his journal
publications, and all of the analysis work he did for his PhD was in
2D.  He finished his PhD in 1989, which may be too early for Blender.
After that, he moved to the USA and continued in human biomechanics
research.

Can anyone confirm a Blender connection?

--
Jonathan Merritt BE(Mech)/BSc
PhD Student - Equine Biomechanics