[Bf-committers] VC_7 Projectfiles Revision

Jacques Beaurain jacques.beaurain at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 13:28:28 CET 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 00:57:36 -0500, Joseph Gilbert <models at paposo.com> wrote:
>  Q. How do we feel about compiler warning supression in the project files?
> warning C4244 'conversion' conversion from 'type1' to 'type2', possible loss
> of data for example.

In general I'm not a big fan of it, unless the warning can absolutely
be ignored for all current cases and perceived future cases. The
problem comes when you start turning of a bunch of warnings and then
end up missing something important.

If it has to be done, it should be done in a central header file
location included by most of the source (using #pragma warning...) and
not in the project files. Each particular warning that have been
turned of should have a small comment stating what the warning is and
why it has been turned of. This  makes it easy to comment a line and
do a full recompile to see where the warning pops without changing
every project file. It also gives a nice central place to maintain it.

One good thing about eliminating all warnings though; is that you can
flip the warnings-as-errors flag and keep the sources clean of
warnings by them being fixed to get the compile going. Also you don't
end up seeing a whole whack of warnings in the build and once again
missing important stuff.

Just my 2c.

Jacques