[Bf-committers] Merging material settings for game engine and rendering

Mal mal at candomultimedia.com
Thu Feb 10 14:38:43 CET 2005

As part of my current project ( Shockwave 3D exporter path from Blender
), I'm starting to come across a few different areas that seem rather
odd, and could maybe be looked at, or considered, as part of Blender's
future.

One of these is to do with applying textures in the game engine.

It would be great if the user could apply textures in the game engine,
in the same way as they are applied when using rendering.

If a texture exists on material slot 1, it becomes the normal texture.
If a reflection texture is mapped above it, it becomes a reflection
map.  If a texture is applied in slot eg 3, with a blend, it becomes a
multi-textured object. etc etc.

It would also make more sense for people writing exporters and
utilities, as well as for artists who want to use the same models for
rendering and for the games engine.

At the moment in Python, I have to look and see if the face has got a
game texture, and if not, then look for the material texture.

Mal