[Bf-committers] Some one tried to sale Blender on eBay

Jean-Michel Smith jeanmichel.smith at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 22:26:03 CET 2005

Hi,

IANAL and IANAWFSF (I am not affiliated with the Free Software
Foundation), so if you really suspect they are violating the GPL I'd
get into contact with them.  Having said that, I don't think they are
violating the GPL at this point, but ...

If they DISTRIBUTE (give away/sell/what have you) a copy of blender,
they have to provide you with the source code upon request.

As long as they do that they aren't violating the GPL, even if they
get some sucker to bid $50,000 for the CD.

OTOH, if you buy the CD from them and request the source and they tell
you you can't have it, they are in violation of the GPL and the
holders of the blender copyright (Ton et. al., or rather the Blender
Foundation) can revoke their right to distribute the program under the
GPL at all.  I.e. they lose the right to modify, distribute, etc. the
software under the GPL if they violate it and the licensor so wishes
to punish them.

Jean.