[Bf-committers] Blender and OpenMosix... does it have any sense ?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Feb 8 13:41:38 CET 2005

Hi,

As a starter; multi-processes is different from multi-threaded!
What I coded right now is 2 threads using shared memory, and is still
heavily scanline-based, and is very difficult to extend to more than 2
CPUs even. What I've aimed for is support for artist's workstations, it
is not likely 4 or 8 CPUs will get to the desktop anytime soon. :)

I also consider Blender still an animator's tool, so a render system
(cluster) can also be based on the assumption you need to render 100s
of frames. There are many different projects going around on network
rendering, with drqueue being one of the more visible/working projects.
I still hope people can start cooperating a bit on this topic, having
(like now) 5 completely different approaches doesn't help us well.

-Ton-