[Bf-committers] (no subject)

Kester Maddock Christopher.Maddock.1 at uni.massey.ac.nz
Tue Feb 8 12:41:38 CET 2005

Hi,

On Monday 07 February 2005 16:40, Alexander Ewering wrote:
> Hello again!
>
> You can ignore my previous post, I digged through the 2.25b source, and
> found all relevant information...
>
> Essentially, the part which dealt with fixing objects to surfaces under a
> certain impulse strength has been completely removed in the port.

It's been split off into a separate phase.  2.36 used an earlier CVS of the
game engine IIRC.  There was a problem with numerical instability issue where
the restitution impulse is too close to 0.

The fixing objects under a certain threshold is done the same way as the SOLID
examples now, where it is a smooth rather than sharp cutoff.  It is also
split off into a seperate path.

The collision sensors retriggering is because of a timing issue because the
physics & logic run at different rates.

All in all, I think that ODE is the way to go.  An impulse based method, while
simpler, has numerical precision & stability issues.

I haven't had much time lately (I've been busy at work) as you might have
guessed.

Kester

--
A man of genius makes no mistakes.
His errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.