[Bf-committers] Blender and OpenMosix... does it have any sense ?

Matthew H. Plough mplough at Princeton.EDU
Mon Feb 7 19:26:08 CET 2005

Ton has started to split the renderer off into threads so that you
wouldn't need to split it off into processes if you were running a
single system image on a cluster (i.e. Open Mosix).  If you're running
multiple systems, it's easy to render a frame at a time on each using a
renderfarm setup.  It's also possible just to open up a lot of blender
executables on the same system and render frames that way.  Thus, while
there isn't a perfect way to do Open Mosix right now, there are plenty
of elegant hacks that will let you use it.

On a slightly different subject...
I've been playing around with the multithreaded renderer, and I can't
seem to get it to exceed 78% overall CPU usage on my dual Opteron.  It
looks like the renderer is in need of optimization -- it looks like he
was really conservative and careful in making sure that there wouldn't
be lots of annoying concurrency issues.  I just got through with a
hardcore OS course on concurrency and would love to look at it, but I'm
swamped right now and really can't.

Matt