[Bf-committers] Armature total mess?

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Feb 6 13:37:34 CET 2005

Hi,

 > On 5 Feb, 2005, at 17:19, Chris Want wrote:
> I would say start fresh if you feel the current code is
> too hard to extend... just please don't bring back IKA's!

Of course not. :) It should have all features as we currently have, but
with 10% of the code, and an understandable design for further
extensions!

> While you're at it, I think it would help to re-evaluate
> the subsurf system so that it supports partial updating
> of the mesh during deformation

Related yes... but that's mostly another project. Any deformation
system can 'tag' changed vertices that deform quite easily, but the
subsurfer would need to be completely rewritten.
Daniel Dunbar did experiments with it... let me poke the dude!

> Out of curiousity: do you have any experience with the
> armature system from the user side of things? While the
> code is sure hell, I guess if there is a hidden treasure
> it would be that it allows users to do a lot of cool stuff
> (although the system looks a bit dated compared to other
> modern animation systems).

That's another issue... I can do very basic things only (but using both
action and nla) and have no real clues about how constraints work...
My frustration while using the system, is that the current 'features'
feel not really designed, but follow weirdness in the implementation.
When I see Bassam setting up rigs, it's very impressive what he
achieves but it smells like balancing with undocumented exceptions. :)

> P.S. before starting over, perhaps you could send Reevan
> a mail and ask a few questions?

Reevan already made very clear to me he doesn't even want to be
*reminded* to this project! His advise would be a total make-over as
well.

-Ton-