[Bf-committers] Deformations code

joeedh joeeagar at prodigy.net
Thu Feb 3 18:38:13 CET 2005

Hi.  What with the progress I've made on my new mesh structure, I've
realized that I'm going to have to figure out how exactly to code the
displist and deformation stuff.

What I think we need to do, is to create an intermediatary mesh
structure specifically for deformations, that all the object types
(nurbs, mesh, new mesh, metaballs) can convert to.  This intermediatary
mesh structure is what would recieve deformations.

I admit that I don't know what I'm talking about here, but I feel that
it's important to bring this up now since the animation system is about
to be worked on, and because it isn't likely that I'll be involved very
much in implementing that project.  Still, designing the code to support
both the old and new mesh types is something that needs to be taken into
account.

Oh, and here's a few things I intend for the new mesh to be able to do:
* Full armature support
* Full hooks support
* Vertex painting/coloring support (I'm thinking of supporting multiple
vertex color maps).
* All other deformations support.

joeedh
P.S.: I have done a serious amount of work on the new mesh type, too,
over 1000 lines of code so far.