[listas] [Bf-committers] patch 3688 - support for 3d mouse devices

Stealth Apprentice stealthapprentice at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 22:05:20 CET 2005

I had support for the buttons, but i didn't put it in
the patch, mostly because I didn't have any ideas how
to use them yet.

Shall I put the button event handling back in, for
someone else to hook up to macros, keys, menus, or
whatever?

Since I bought a SpaceTraveler (the cheapest one,
looks like a jog wheel), I really notice when I'm in a
3d app that doesn't support it. With the Blender patch
you can rest your hand on the knob, and almost as you
think it, your view travels exactly where you want to
go. When you twist the knob it "feels" like you are
twisting the object to see it. Really fun!

It was quite easy to implement because Blender's
existing view code is quite well written. The
turntable was better implemented than most I've seen
(or written LOL)