[Bf-committers] Updated (working!) patch for NLA Action Baking

Stephane SOPPERA stephane.soppera at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 29 17:14:30 CET 2005

Roland Hess wrote:

>> Why Orange is needing this kind of feature? They want to export their
>> animation to some other software?
>

> Let's say you make a walkcycle, and use the Stride Bone feature to
> make your character walk along a path. That's nice, but it's very
> reptitive. Let's say you want to move the foot position on three out
> of forty footfalls to step on something exactly? Or, that you want to
> alter each step a bit so it looks more natural? You can't do that with
> a walkcycle. But, if you bake it into a single action, with each loop
> of the cycle as real IPOs in an action, you can tweak and sweeten each
> step, if you like.

Ok, I understand.

> Also, it should cut down on the work that Blender has to do, as it's
> simply evaluation a linear chain of Ipos, and not having to run
> mutliple cycles of NLA evaluation. It may not be a big deal for a
> single character scene, but if you have a lot of folks jumping around,
> it could make a serious difference in system response.

;-) So in "Elephant Dream" there will be big scenes with many characters
jumping around? With slow motion? ;-)

>> What is exactly this "MatchMoving" feature? Tracking of 2D points in
>> different frames of a movie or positionning of a camera from points
>> which 3D position is known?
>
> You can read the docs and demos from the Patch Tracker on it:
> https://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3599&group_id=9&atid=127
>

> Although the patch in that particular tracker item is superceded by
> the one bundled with Action Baking.

Oh! That's not at all what I had in mind when I read the word
"MatchMoving" ;-) I thought you made something like:
http://www.realviz.com/products/mpro/index.php.

Thanks for the answers.
Stephane