[Bf-committers] Blender on One Laptop Per Child (100$ laptop)

Matthew H. Plough mplough at Princeton.EDU
Sun Dec 18 23:02:05 CET 2005

On Dec 18, 2005, at 15:05 PM, Stephen Swaney wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 02:05:33PM -0500, Jean Montambeault wrote:
>
>> Well, let's try :
>> 1. Blender is 10 years old now : 10 years ago, there were no 500 MHz
>> processors and RAM, hard drives were tiny.
>> 2. There was a time when a version of Blender on handheld units
>> was in the
>> plans.
>> 3. Blender is now faster (better code) than it ever was.
>> 4. With the coming of Verse, the future for Blender certainly is
>> for easily
>> networked computers.
>
> I said 'actual working instance'.  You can talk numbers all you want.
> Do I need to mention that clock speed is a meaningless comparision
> unless you
> are comparing processors from similar families?

Just to clarify:
1995 was 300 MHz Alpha chips, tops.  2005 is dual-core 2.6 GHz
Opterons.  Clock speed isn't the best metric to compare these, but
it's pretty clear which would be faster.

However, the case that Steven is talking about is a 500 MHz low-power
AMD Geode from 2005 vs. a 300 MHz Alpha from 1995.  The Alpha from
1995 would probably trounce today's Geode.

Matt