[Bf-committers] Blender on One Laptop Per Child (100$ laptop)

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Sun Dec 18 21:05:52 CET 2005

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 02:05:33PM -0500, Jean Montambeault wrote:

> Well, let's try :
> 1. Blender is 10 years old now : 10 years ago, there were no 500 MHz
> processors and RAM, hard drives were tiny.
> 2. There was a time when a version of Blender on handheld units was in the
> plans.
> 3. Blender is now faster (better code) than it ever was.
> 4. With the coming of Verse, the future for Blender certainly is for easily
> networked computers.

I said 'actual working instance'.  You can talk numbers all you want.
Do I need to mention that clock speed is a meaningless comparision unless you
are comparing processors from similar families?

Plus, now you are talking Blender 1.05 or so, not today's Blender which
is much more of a resource pig.  Blender compressed used to fit on a
floppy disk.

> BTW : why 500 MHz ? I doubt that 1, 2 GHz would be more expensive (although
> they would require more hank cranking ;) ) to make, especially if you have
> an order for 100 M of them.

Power consumption is the reason.  This turns in to cranking, as you
point out and reduced working time.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net