[Bf-committers] Blender on One Laptop Per Child (100$ laptop)

Jean Montambeault iaminnocent at videotron.ca
Sun Dec 18 20:05:33 CET 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Swaney" <sswaney at centurytel.net>
To: "bf-blender developers" <bf-committers at projects.blender.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] Blender on One Laptop Per Child (100$ laptop)

> Feel free to prove me wrong with an actual working instance, but I
> rather doubt that an application like Blender will run well on a
> hand-cranked laptop designed for email and word processing.
>
> Something like TuxPaint would be a more suitable tool for digital art.

Well, let's try :
1. Blender is 10 years old now : 10 years ago, there were no 500 MHz
processors and RAM, hard drives were tiny.
2. There was a time when a version of Blender on handheld units was in the
plans.
3. Blender is now faster (better code) than it ever was.
4. With the coming of Verse, the future for Blender certainly is for easily
networked computers.

BTW : why 500 MHz ? I doubt that 1, 2 GHz would be more expensive (although
they would require more hank cranking ;) ) to make, especially if you have
an order for 100 M of them.

Jean