[Bf-committers] Blender on One Laptop Per Child (100$ laptop)

Vio vmilitaru at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 18 14:46:27 CET 2005

Jean Montambeault wrote:

>Two things though that work in favor of them having less trouble than you :
>1. They don't know of *any* interface so Blender won't seem to them any
>stranger than any other.
>2. They're kid, likely motivated kids, and kids learn *fast*.

Hey, I'm a kid too (despite counting 40 candles on my coming cake,
perhaps there was a candle sale, or something). I know there are
entrenched views on Blender's UI, and core coders have the privilege to
do whatever they want, and perhaps that's the best UI for this type of
app, I don't know. I'm just an occasional user, I get this stuff for
free, so I shouldn't complain. My point is there may be adoption
problems ahead because of the UI. Whether this is an opportunity to
review this point is not for me to judge. While reading this 100$ laptop
topic this morning, this point struck me as a barrier to Blender
adoption, and thought I'd share this view. Besides, for someone who'se
main motivation is to find something to eat for tomorrow, maybe learning
3D programming won't make it on top of his/her "to-do" list for the day.

vio