[Bf-committers] Blender on One Laptop Per Child (100$ laptop)

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 19:39:00 CET 2005

Jorrit,

I stand corrected, I must have got the misimpression from another
article and overlooked the correction in this one.

vio,

(hopefully Moore's law will come to the
> rescue...eventually)

not likely in a reasonable time frame - as Jim Getty notes there may
be some improvements in specs, but it certainly shouldn't be something
counted on. 100 million in one year would be a big opportunity to miss
so we should make serious efforts to be ready and installed for the
initial shipments.

> suspect an even higher challenge in such project
> to come from making a computer-illiterate audience adopting the
> "unconventional" Blender

by mid 2006 (or so) the event system refactor will have happened.
Which will allow zbrush like tutorials as well as an interface
overhaul.  So consideration can be given then.  the 800x600 screen
will require interface changes even if Blenders current interface were
perfect.  Of course interface designers can certainly start dreaming
up alternative interfaces to maximally take advantage of such specs.

Also we will probably need additional work on the internationalization
and localization front.

LetterRip