[Bf-committers] Blender on One Laptop Per Child (100$ laptop)

Vio vmilitaru at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 18 14:17:31 CET 2005

Small divergent point of view:

Despite the challenges of running Blender in a ridiculously-reduced
hardware sandbox (hopefully Moore's law will come to the
rescue...eventually), I suspect an even higher challenge in such project
to come from making a computer-illiterate audience adopting the
"unconventional" Blender UI. I mean, I consider myself at ease around
both hard and soft "wares", yet using Blender remains a challenge. I
wouldn't dare imagine the targeted audience's reaction. Hence, since
"less is more" in this instance, I wonder, in case there is serious
intent to target that specific audience, if a UI
review/simplification/whatever may be appropriate (or even practical). I
guess the best approach here would be to put a sample of the target
audience in front of a running Blender, and ... learn. Comes to mind
Microsoft's test labs (or whatever they're called) who picks people off
the street to put in front of the latest world-dominaton app, and watch
reactions behind a one-way window.

Just a thought,
vio