[Bf-committers] Boolean op holes error handled

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 5 12:42:23 CET 2005

--- Alexander Ewering <blender at instinctive.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Dec 2005, Marc Freixas wrote:
> >
> > After reading your messages we can draw some
> conclusions. I think that
> > the open meshes are allowed if are representing an
> infinite object, for
> > example a plane or a cylinder without cover. This
> kind of objects are
> > closed in the infinity point, like a parallel
> lines. But, their
> > nonmanifold edges do not have to intersect any
> face. Becouse the
> > intersection cretes a new faces and these must be
> classified inside or
> > outside.
>
> I have stopped replying to this discussion because
> it is a bit pointless
> to me. What people want here is an "Intersect"
> feature, and that has been in
> Blender until 2.26, when someone decided to remove
> it.

It was removed because it was about as stable as Win
ME. Any attempt to pretend the contrary is just
blissful thinking.

> What people are asking here can be done by simply
> extruding the
> plane, *or* by using 2.25's Intersect feature. So,
> I'd say, don't bother
> too much ;-)
> What I consider much more important is fixing the
> booleans for *correct*
> situations where it also crashes sometimes, like
> "Hello World" in the
> default font engraved (substracted from) the surface
> of a cube.

Having it working on text object straight after
conversion is exactly what people are asking.
Surprise! The text object is not closed, the top and
bottom are separate from the bevel.

If you remove doubles, it works (obviously).

Martin