[Bf-committers] Boolean op holes error handled

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Thu Dec 1 11:40:28 CET 2005

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, [ISO-8859-1] "Juan J. Peña M." wrote:

> From my user point of view, both options are very bad, but the freeze option
> is worse of course.
>
> Only been able to perfom Booleans on closed meshes is very limiting.. in
> fact, in all the years I´ve been using Blender, I have only used booleans on
> closep meshes like 5 times total.  Most (if not all) the possible uses I
> could make of Boolean are precisely for "open" meshes.

I don't know what kinds of objects you expect to work with booleans, but I
think you misunderstand the technical meaning of 'open' and 'closed'.

By 'closed', Marc means *solid* meshes, because any other ('open') kind
of mesh is impossible and doesn't exist in reality.

Can you give an example on what kind of object you would like to do
booleans with, and you would consider 'open'?

An example of a mesh that wouldn't work with booleans is half an
UVsphere. It would not work because it has no inside and no outside, and
is infinitely thin. Such an object wouldn't work with raytracing, either.

So, construct sane objects, and enjoy booleans, and don't blame the code,
I'd say ;-)