[Bf-committers] solving the issues of switching to python 2.4 on Os X for next release

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Wed Aug 24 17:08:36 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 12:06:20PM +0200, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> First of all, if you upgrade a framework to a newer version, why would
> you then need to recompile all applications that use it? That seems to
> me conflicting with the whole concept of dynamic libraries...

Sort of true, but you are overlooking the idea of major and minor
versions of dynamic libs.  Minor versions are interchangeable,
major versions are not.  Python almost always changes the size
of basic structs like PyTypeObject between major versions.

Points worth repeating:

1) you do *not* need an external version of python to run blender

2) Blender builds and links with either Python 2.3 or 2.4

3) There are a bunch of reasons to finally switch to Python 2.4.
A major one is that when people download Python from python.org,
they usually get the latest which is 2.4

IMHO, we should build against Py 2.4 on all platforms,
with the possible  exceptions of OSX where Apple seems
to have made this as difficult as possible, and Irix
where, iirc, 2.4 does not run (or was it 2.3? ).

If users need a full Python install to run scripts,
installation  packages are available.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net