[Bf-committers] solving the issues of switching to python 2.4 on Os X for next release

Willian Padovani Germano wgermano at superig.com.br
Tue Aug 23 22:32:11 CEST 2005

Hi, Jean-Luc

Sent my reply before receiving yours.

Jean-Luc Peurière wrote:
> For Os X, if we keep the framework version, it is just the matter of
> choosing the lib we link against, so not even one ifdef for me.
> Scons and Makefiles can be automated to pick the correct one
> when building from CVS, too.

Yes, under Linux I only had to set a Python related system var pointing
to the executable of the version I wanted linked against Blender, back
in the Python 2.2 -> 2.3 transition period. It's easy to ask Python
itself which version is installed, so trivial to automate.

> I asked this question (why 2.4?), and pythoners swore that the
> improvements are worth the hassle, some important bugs having
> been corrected and general speed-up.

Indeed, the improvements are worth it, but just as important is that for
Win Python users 2.3 is quite old already, it's a bother to have to
download / keep it. And for Linux (not sure, haven't followed distros
recently and some are more up to date than others), it's probably about
time for 2.4, too.

But it seems this must be decided per platform when possible, situations
are quite different from one to another.

--
Willian