[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src editobject.c

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Aug 17 11:52:55 CEST 2005

Hi,

This kind of 'tweak' might work for little tweaks (like bezier
handles), but not for actual grabbing objects or bones or vertices.
Then the strain is just unbearable, a mousebutton-release too
inaccurate, and MMB constraining impossible.

(For pen/tablet usage it might work well though, but thats another
issue.)

You also should be aware that you use LMB select, which gives a
different perception as well. What you see as an 'unnecessary click' is
for RMB-select a very intuitive and strain-less command to end with.
(Left click is confirm for hotkey grabbing as well).

I'm convinced we can design something better. Couple of months ago I
sent this list a proposal for a mouse-mapping standard, with sufficient
freedom for people to adjust to their desired workflow. But even then,
we could strive for an optimum. I've not seen any rational argument for
this kind of strained tweaking, nor for LMB selection, apart from just
following market conventions...

(You could also re-read the first appendix of Raskin's Humane
Interface! I'm really not alone here. :)

-Ton-