[Bf-committers] script links: enable/disable

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Apr 29 13:53:56 CEST 2005

Hi,

> And for that I'd like to:
> - expand the "-y" flag to disable all script links, not only scene
> "OnLoad" ones;
> - add a "disable" button in the script buttons win to turn on/off
> G_SCENESCRIPT flag via UI;
> - add a check for G.f & G_SCENESCRIPT before running any script link.
> The check can either be added to the top of the script links execution
> function or everywhere in Blender where it is called (to avoid the
> tiny overhead of calling the function for each link set).
>
> Coding changes are small and trivial. Ok to do it?

Yep. sounds OK, but...

> Note: when new .blend's are loaded, we can check if script links are
> currently disabled. If so we turn them off in the new G.f, too.
> Otherwise the value saved in the loaded .blend will tell if they are
> on or off.

For safety that sounds reasonable, but it can result in confusement. So
whatfor people want to use such a disable feature... for debugging
only?
In that case I propose not to save such a flag in the file at all, but
only allow it to be set with the "-y" on commandline, and with a button
in the ScriptLink buttons.

With the G.f being saved in files, it would require another variable to
be used. :)

I also like to propose to think over a feature to make usage of python
scripts more secure... it would still be very good to have a Sandbox
limitation enforced on not trusted Blender files.

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org