[Bf-committers] script links: new "OnRender" event

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Apr 29 12:53:53 CEST 2005

Hi,

> For now, I propose adding "OnRender" for currently available
> containers: objects, scenes, materials, etc.  Complementing what Tom
> wrote in the minutes with more examples, this is useful to: control
> LOD, link objects to alternate obdata or generate expensive geometry
> only needed during render: hair, grass, etc.; for speeding up
> rendering in particular situations: back face culling, scene
> simplification, etc. and so on.
>
> And to revert what "OnRender" scripts did, we either:
>
> 1) also add an "AfterRender" (name suggestions welcome) script link
> event, to be executed right after rendering or
>
> 2) we tell script writers to handle both "before and after" cases in
> their "OnRender" scripts:
> if event == "OnRender":
> # prepare for render
> else: #if event == "AfterRender"
>  # clean up

I think the 2) is much better. A user doesn't want to program with
scriptlinks. :)
So, a py coder who needs a cleanup can code it, and all goes fine.

>> *Ton will email his comments on the implementation of BPY_interface.c

Hehe! It was an error in Tom's minutes. I didn't have comments on the
implementation in the meeting, but notified that I discovered the
Makefiles don't recompile  BPY_interface.c when include files change...
I need Makefile guru support to check it. :)

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org