[Bf-committers] No 64 bits Blender in OSX.... :(

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Apr 28 10:26:47 CEST 2005

Hi Joeedh,

You are confused dude. :)
Blender had 64 bits versions for DEC Alpha (released), Irix & Solaris
(tested) already over 5 years ago. Internally we adopted the so-called
LP-64 standard for type sizes:
http://developer.apple.com/macosx/tiger/images/lp64compare.gif
Which is luckily the standard now.

In short; an int is always 4 bytes, a long is 4 or 8, depending
architecture. So for Blender you have to use a long for pointer storage
and arithmetic.

On another nice sidenote; gcc4.0 has improved quality level of warning
output some, and for compiling 64 bits it even gives an *error* when
you try to put a pointer in an int. :)

For Trip: compiling of the blender source was impossible wherever it
used include files from system libraries like quicktime, or carbon (for
opening windows), or opengl... making it impossible to get anything
done.

-Ton-