[Bf-committers] No 64 bits Blender in OSX.... :(

joeedh joeeagar at prodigy.net
Thu Apr 28 05:43:55 CEST 2005

joeedh wrote:

> Chris Burt wrote:
>
>> There is also a 64-bit version of Windows to be release very soon (if
>> not already) if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure someone could compile a
>> 64-bit version for that platform. Then Windows and Linux would be
>> frontrunner.
>

> a note to zr: Manually putting variable sizes in subsurf_ccg is.  .
> ..bad.  should really use sizeof.  could mess up 64-bit compiles.
>
> line 153 in tuhopuu, the _getSubSurf function.

oops, trimmed out the rest of my email by accident, rewritten below.

64-bit systems have the advantage of registered (or whatever its called)
64-bit integers, right?  but in C, integers are still 4 bytes, and longs
are 6 bytes?  So the only real issue is pointer sizes, which I believe
are larger.

So the only thing that could break 64-bit compile is not using the
sizeof keyword, and storing pointers in non-pointer variables (like an int).

so Blender shouldn't have any problems, then.  just external
librarys--perhaps we should be concentrating a little on making sure
python and yafray--and SOLID--work under 64-bit systems.

joeedh