[Bf-committers] Software OpenGL

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Tue Apr 26 09:14:00 CEST 2005

Hi, I would be interested in getting blender working better under
software OpenGL.
I assume there are a many software openGL implimantation but Id like wo
work with Mesa for now.

On my system Mesa is quite useable, and not even as slow as I expected,
even fully textured large scenes can redraw about 10fps which is useable.

I use mesa when developing OpenGL plugins in Python to avoid crashing my
graphics card (driver issue I guess, but its beside the point) so theres
one resion for software openGL (buggy drivers), also even hardware accel
can be slower then software when you have more textures loaded then the
card has memory. I while back I used software openGL for a model that
had overt 256meg of images.

I have a distant hope that blender may run on linux IPAQ. Linux /IPAQ
run SDL/X11/Mesa and Python, so I dont see why blender would not compile
after some small work.

To this end, here are some things that could be done to accelerate
Blender in software openGL/Ipaq.
* Modify redraw loops only to redraw on mouse move
(This is a problem with Bounding, box and space boarder resizing) -
Seems that Mesa isnt that fast at XOR drawing operations,
I have patched the border resizing problem my only redrawing on mouse
movement. now works well in mesa. this was the main problem I noticed.
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2480&group_id=9&atid=127

* Investigate fastest mipmapping options- I think nearest if faster for
enlarged textures, couldent notice any difference for scaled down
mipmaps. Not sure how to do this, since we might still want mipmaps not
totaly disabled (as with mipmap on/off button)

* Have options to ignore alpha in floating panels.

* Have options to ignore Smooth curves in floating panels or UI.

* Have options to remove menu drop shadows

Should these be IFDEFS?, Somthing like FAST_OPENGL to turn anything
thats slow in software open GL off.
After this, running on ipaq would be more fesable.

These speedups could also be good for people with low quality on board
gfx cards.

- Cam,

--
Campbell J Barton